Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Dryer Balls

I saw this cool idea and decided to give it a try.  Instead of using fabric softener or dryer sheets, you can use these Dryer Balls.  I don't like to use dryer sheets with my kids' laundry anyway, so this sounds like a great alternative!  All they are are wool balls (wool yarn) that have been felted (wool fibers fused together, like the felt that you buy at the store.)  

The Dryer Balls are supposed to:
reduce static cling
reduce drying time by absorbing some moisture and helping the air circulate better
soften clothes
last for years (saving money!)

Here's what you need:
100% wool yarn
scissors
an old pair of nylons (I used a knee-high)

I made four balls with my skein of yarn.  I bought the yarn at Hobby Lobby for $3.30 (with a 40% off coupon).

Start making your ball by wrapping the yarn around around your fingers 15-20 times.
 

Then wrap your yarn 15-20 times the other way around that yarn.

Then just keep wrapping and turning, wrapping and turning until you get a ball the size you want.  Mine are probably a little smaller than a baseball.
 

Cut your yarn off and secure the end by wrapping it under/around other yarn wraps several times.

Repeat with the rest of your yarn.

Now, put them in the leg of a pair of nylons (I just used an old knee-high).  Tie a not between each ball, you don't want them to touch (and fuse to) each other.  You could also use thread (but not your wool yarn) to tie in between your balls.

Now you are ready to felt your balls.  This will make it so that they won't come undone when you use them in the future.  To do this, wash them on the hottest temperature setting your washer has (I washed them with my towels).  Then you need to dry them on the hottest temperature setting.

Take them out of the nylon (I just cut mine because I didn't care about keeping it), and you are done!  Ready to dry!
I have also read that you can add a few drops of essential oils if you want your clothes to be scented after drying.



No comments:

Post a Comment