Tuesday, March 26, 2013

DIY soap scum cleaner

We like to use this DIY soap scum cleaner, especially for our showers, especially the glass doors.
Here's what you need:
1 cup white vinegar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. dish soap
a spray bottle (mine is an old cleaner bottle that I am reusing)

Put 1 cup vinegar in a microwave proof container (I used my glass liquid measuring cup) and add 1 Tbs. cornstarch.  Mix it well (I used a fork).  Microwave the vinegar-cornstarch mixture for 2 minutes.  It will be thicker, more like a gel.  Mix it again.

Add 2 tablespoons of dish soap to your spray bottle (I just eyeballed it).  Then add your vinegar-cornstarch mixture to the bottle.  Shake it a little, and you are done!

The nice thing about this cleaner is that it is a little gel-like so it won't just run off of the surface that you spray it on.  It lets the vinegar and soap sit there and soak.  The down side though, is that if you let the cleaner sit for too long, it drys out and then you have a residue left behind.  I find that letting the cleaner sit for about 15 minutes is just about right.  It gets to soak, but not so long that it drys out.  After it sits, wipe it down with a damp rag or sponge, rinse, and you are done!

Here is the shower door that I used it on this morning (even though this may look like a picture of a toilet).  Kind of hard to see glass in a picture, but I think you can tell that it is much better, and without much elbow grease involved.



No comments:

Post a Comment